Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, August 26, 2007

    [spoiler] Living Single

    I just finished reading a new novel, Living Single. I knew about it through a book launching ads posted in one of the mailing list I registered. It's a story about a young executive lady who works in an advertising agency. She longs for a relationship of her own but eventually comes to accept her situation of being a single. Honestly, a fiction is not really my favorite genre, especially one such as this chicklit. I picked it up at Kinokuniya because I was curious about a story which made living single its central theme, particularly one against the backdrop of living in Jakarta.

    This novel is the second book I have read regarding living single, the other one is more spiritually-based. Curious? Well, it has come to my mind that such situation might very well occurred to me. Having been single for eight years, I don't see myself in a relationship anytime soon, perhaps going forward. Why, you asked? Well, I do have my reasons, although I also keep looking for rationale in the writings and experience of others.

    As for the novel itself, it's a chicklit, so don't expect too much on the literary side. It is the writer's first project, based on his friends' live experience in the advertising industry. I also did a quick search on Amazon, and it seems that a lot of this living single type of story take a female as its main character, not unlike Sex in the City series. I guess the stigma is still there.

    No comments: